We are committed to building meaningful, long-term relationships with Indigenous groups through openness, understanding and dialogue.
Through our engagement with Indigenous peoples and communities, we create learning and development opportunities, support economic growth, and respect cultural interests in our operations.
We recognize Indigenous groups as rights holders with a distinct connection to the land. Consultation with Indigenous groups is a key step in our project plans and development. We believe in starting conversations early when planning work that may impact Indigenous communities and people.
We often work with Indigenous groups to use local services. We also engage Indigenous monitors and elders throughout our projects, helping to ensure our impact on communities is minimized.
We support a number of agreements and initiatives that are focused on building partnerships and strengthening relationships:
- Band Council Resolutions (BCR)
A BCR is a record of a Chief & Council decision made by a majority of council members. It outlines how we work with First Nations to conduct, operate, and maintain natural gas infrastructure on each reserve. A BCR must be in place prior to any work beginning on the ground.
- Saskatchewan Chamber of Commerce Indigenous Engagement Charter
The Charter outlines the actions SaskEnergy will take to enhance engagement levels with Indigenous Peoples, businesses and communities.
- Tribal Council Partnership Agreements
We recognize that Indigenous communities are essential partners in creating and supporting growth in Saskatchewan. Partnerships for employment, education, training and business development are encouraged and fostered.
Community Investment and Employee Engagement
Through our parent company, SaskEnergy, we support and celebrate numerous Indigenous organizations and events through sponsorships, awareness, and employee engagement. Respecting Indigenous culture and participating in events strengthens relationships in the communities we serve. Some of the organizations and groups we support, and events we participate in, include:
- International Drum Festival
- Smudge Walk
- SaskEnergy First Nations Safety Calendar contest
- Glen Anaquod Memorial Tipi Raising Competition
- Tony Cote Summer and Winter Games
- Regina Treaty Status Indian Services Organization
- National Indigenous History Month and National Indigenous Peoples Day
- White Buffalo Youth Lodge – Backpack Program
- SaskEnergy Aboriginal Government Employees (SAGE) — a committee dedicated to promoting Indigenous education and culture within the workplace
- Employee participation in Crown Investment Corporation’s Indigenous Cultural Awareness Program (ICAP)
Our parent company, SaskEnergy, awards scholarships to Indigenous students who show leadership, academic achievement and community involvement. We also partner with Indigenous educational institutes to address labour market demands, develop skills, and to support economic growth.
Commitment to Reconciliation
We are committed to reconciliation and respect all treaties. Collectively, we recognize the tragic legacy of residential schools and honour survivors, their families and communities. We acknowledge the harms and mistakes of the past and we are committed to moving forward with Indigenous Nations in the spirit of reconciliation and collaboration.