The Federal Carbon Tax is part of the Government of Canada’s multi-year carbon pricing system.
As a registered distributor, TransGas collects the required amount each month and remits the charges to the federal government.
The carbon charge on natural gas is set by the Government of Canada at the following rates and effective dates:
- April 1, 2021: $78.30 per 10³m³ (approximately $2.00/GJ)
- April 1, 2022: $97.90 per 10³m³ (approximately $2.50/GJ)
- April 1, 2023: $127.20 per 10³m³ (approximately $3.30/GJ)
Delivery service contract holders will see this charge plus GST on invoices, unless exempted. PST is not applicable.
- The Government of Canada outlines circumstances in which customers may be fully or partially relieved of the charge.
- The provincial Prairie Resilience strategy’s output-based performance standards apply to large industrial facilities in Saskatchewan. Some facilities may be exempt through this program.
- Upon meeting the requirements for an exemption, complete the TransGas Fuel Charge Exemption form. Submit the form, along with a copy of the applicable CRA exemption certificate, to TransGas. You will receive confirmation from TransGas once the exemption is applied.
- The carbon charge is not applied to exempt delivery meter volumes.